Wednesday 31 July 2013

I'm not dead!


I don't know if I posted about this, but last year I completed 10 craft projects. I had made the goal of one per month, or 12 throughout the whole year.
 
I was really happy with what I accomplished, so I decided to keep that resolution.
 
Early in the year, I read an advice article geared towards writers that talked about production versus consumption. The main message was that if you really want to write that book or movie, you need to spend less time consuming what other people have produced for the entertainment of others.

That percolated in my head for a few days before I realised that it also applied to crafters. Pinterest and the blog circuit are consuming what other people have produced, and if I want to produce as well, I need to consume less of what they've produced and produce my own stuff.

That realisation has made a huge difference this year. I've already produced a lot more completed craft projects than I did all of last year.

I've tried really hard to wean myself off of Pinterest. It's an ongoing process. It's a hard thing to do! There are so many cool projects to see, and ones that I know that I could make. There are resources that would make some of my projects easier to accomplish as soon as I stumble across them...

But I need to keep reminding myself that I have a lot on the go right now, and that I need to complete what I've started before adding more projects.

That doesn't stop me from consuming TV and movies of course. I can knit or crochet while I'm watching the idiot box. ;)
 
I promise to post some pictures soon! I can't wait to show you what I've done!

No comments:

Post a Comment